Australia Graduate Visa
This visa is for international students who have recently graduated with skills and qualifications that are relevant to specific occupations in Australia needs. It lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily.
There are 2 different types of graduate visas:
- The Graduate Work Stream or
- The Post Study Work Stream
Please refer to the different requirements for each on this page
What is required?
The following requirements are compulsory to commence your application for a Graduate Visa.
- You must have age less than 50
- You must be inside Australia at the time of lodging a visa application
- You must meet the Australian study requirements
- You must have applied for the visa within 6 months of receiving the results
- You must meet the specific requirements of each stream (Graduate or Post Graduate)
- You must have health insurance for the duration of stay in Australia
- You must have at least competent English
- You can apply for this visa once in life time
When applying for a graduatevisa, you will first need to determine what documents are required. You can only meet the Australian study requirement if your course(s) is/are:
- Registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)
- Conducted in English
- Include a duration period of minimum 92 weeks or at least 16 calendar months
- Undertaken on a valid student visa in Australia
- Not Associated with English language proficiency or enabling programs
Graduate Visa Fees
The graduate visa costs $1,535 AUD (Australian Dollars) for the primary visa applicant. There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you. Members of your family unit, who are added after a visa has been granted, must pay the full visa application charge. You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
The subclass 485 visa is exempt from the Subsequent temporary application charge.
* This is correct as of 2018. Please note this is subject to change.
* If paying by credit card there will be additionally charges also.
For the most up to date information, please visit www.homeaffairs.gov.au
Why work in Australia?
Unlike in some other English-speaking countries, there is no automatic right associated with your student visa to stay on and work for a period of time in Australia after you complete your degree. When you receive your student visa, the government lets you in on basis of temporary entry for study with the understanding that you will leave upon completion of course and before the visa will expire. However, Australia continues to have demand for foreign workers, and students that have earned a degree in Australia have a special work visa category. There are also several other visa categories open to international students, and Australia has a very straightforward path to permanent residency using a points system . If you want to stay and work after you graduate, you must apply and obtain a work visa.