Study in Australia

📚Study in Australia

Frequently Asked Question (FAQs) about Studying in Australia

How to select the right course to study in Australia?

Selecting the 'right course' is a very critical step that can make or break the pathways that may lead to skilled migration a.k.a Permanent Residency in Australia. Below are the key questions that one should consider before deciding what to study in Australia.

  1. Does the course lead to any 'eligible' skilled occupation?

  2. Which is the legislated skills assessing body catering to that skilled occupation ?

  3. What are the requirements for the skills assessment by that skills assessment body for that skilled occupation ?

  4. Whether any paid or unpaid work experience, or vocational placement is required?

  5. What is the required duration of such work experience ?

  6. Whether such experience needs to part-time or full-time or combination ?

Let's discuss together which course is right for you based on your individual circumstances. Book an appointment...

Do you need to demonstrate or evidence funds for the student visa application?

It is a requirement for the grant of a student visa that the student visa applicant(s) must have genuine access to sufficient funds to pay for the expenses such as course fees, living expenses, student health cover and return travel expenses for the intended period of stay in Australia. However, whether, at the time of the lodgement of the visa application, the visa applicants(s) need to demonstrate or provide evidence to the immigration will depend on the following factors:

What is the risk rating of the education provider?

What is the risk rating of the applicant, based on the country of passport

Whether the combined risk rating, which is the combination of the country of the applicant(s)' passport and the education provider, is level 2 or higher.

Note: Despite a combined risk rating of 1 at the visa lodgement time, the visa officer has the discretion to ask the visa applicants to demonstrate evidence of financial capacity during the processing of the visa application.

Do you need to apply for a new student visa when you change you course and/or education sector in Australia?

You can come to Australia to undertake study in one or more of the 7 education sectors based on the applicant's course level:

  • Independent ELICOS Sector: English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

  • Schools Sector: Secondary school course (including junior and senior secondary), approved secondary school exchange program.

  • Vocational Education and Training Sector: Certificate I, II, III and IV (except ELICOS), Vocational Education and Training (VET) diploma, advanced diploma, graduate certificate, and graduate diploma.

  • Higher Education Sector: Bachelor degree, associate degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, masters by coursework, higher education diploma, and higher education advanced diploma.

  • Postgraduate Research Sector: Masters degree by research or doctoral degree.

  • Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector: Students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Department of Defence.

  • Non-Award Sector: A non-award foundation studies course, or other full time course (or components of a course) that does not lead to an Australian award.

If you decide to change your education sector after the grant of the student visa upon arrival in Australia, whether you would need to lodge a new student visa application will depend on the following factors:

  1. Whether you have complied with the condition 8202 and 8516 that are attached with your student visa?

  2. Whether your new education sector is equal to or higher than the education sector for which you were granted the original student visa?

  3. Whether the final qualification that you will gain during the student visa period would be of the same level or higher level, and in the same education sector when the student visa was granted.

It is highly recommended that before you decide to change your level of qualification and/or education sector, you should consult with a Registered Migration Agent to discuss the potential consequences, and whether you would need to apply for a new student visa in the correct corresponding sector.

How to apply for a further student visa (student visa extension)?

If you need to extend your stay in Australia on a student visa such as to complete the ongoing studies for which you had been granted a student visa previoulsy, you would be required to lodge a new application. Unless there are significant concerns regarding the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements or a significant change in your circumstances since the grant of your previous student visa, the process should be quite smooth.

We are proud to be partners with some of the best education providers in Australia and we continue to increase our partner alliance throughout Australia.